To help each family make its own choice about the age-appropriateness of wireless services and devices and acceptable wireless behavior, CTIA and its member companies have developed an example of a pledge for families. We encourage parents and kids to modify it according to their families’ unique needs.
I, _________________________________________, promise I will:
- NEVER use my phone to harm others or put myself at risk by taking or sending inappropriate, aggressive or threatening text messages, social networking messages, photos or videos.
- NEVER give out personal information (including phone number, home address, email address, turn on location based services or credit card number) to unknown people, applications or websites without a parent’s permission.
- NEVER download, subscribe, buy or add anything for my phone without a parent’s permission.
- NEVER disable the parental control features on my device, but I MAY ask a parent’s permission to use something blocked by a parental control feature.
- ALWAYS follow my school’s rules on wireless use.
- ALWAYS remind a driver to not text when s/he is driving a car.
- ALWAYS answer if my parent(s) call or text me and respond as soon as safely possible.
- ALWAYS stay within my device’s voice, text and data usage plan and if I think I may go over the limits, I will tell my parent(s).
- ALWAYS ask my parents if I have a question about whether I can do something new on my phone and use common sense when I use my wireless device.
I understand that there will be consequences if any of these rules are broken.
If I ever receive content (texts, pictures or video) on my phone that I think may be inappropriate, I will tell my parent(s) immediately. In exchange, my parent(s) will not take away my phone and we will work together to discuss an appropriate response.
On ______________________________, _______________________________ and
(Date) (Kid’s Name)
_____________________________________ and _______________________________
(Parent/Legal Guardian Name) (Parent/Legal Guardian Name)
have discussed and understand these rules and agree to follow them.
To print a PDF version of the family rules, please click here